Author Topic: Cant write on internal HDD  (Read 11982 times)

Offline spot0915

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Cant write on internal HDD
« on: September 17, 2012, 05:52:27 PM »
Hi there,

I replaced my iXtreamer with the Med1000X3D last week.
I also put the internal HDD of 2TB (Samsung) from the iXtreamer in my Mede8er.
As the HDD had 1.7TB of Data, I did not format it.
I have the latest FW on the Mede8er1000X3D from Sept. 12th.

The Mede8er has no problem to recognize the HDD and the Mede8er can write and delete files on it,
no problem.
However, when I want to access the internal Disk from my PC (Win7  Dell 64bit Laptop), I can not write/copy any files on it.
I see the Mede8er in Windows in my Network Connections and I can assign a drive letter to the internal HDD,
I also see the folders and files and can read them, however, as soon as I want to copy something
on it, or delete something, i get an error saying that I donīt have access to the drive because rights are missing.

I  first had Samba process activated and Samba security off in the mede8er settings.
I then changed to Samba Security "on" and connected from my Win7 Laptop via username and password (username "root", I have set the pw in the network settings of the mede8er.)
I tried again to connect, and after typing in username and pw, I see the internal drive again in Windows, but
I still can not write to it.
I also have a USB HDD connected to the Mede8er.
There is no problem writing to this drive from my Win7 Laptop.

Any ideas why I canīt write to the internal HDD and what to do?

Thanks
Spot
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:37:07 PM by spot0915 »

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
Re: Cant write on internal HDD
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:32:57 PM »
My guess is that there is something wrong with the NFS privilige capabilities.
Can you connect your mede8er to your pc by usb cable, then right click in explorer on the drive letter and check the security tab.

Please post what user names you see there and post the results
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline spot0915

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 05:34:06 AM »
My guess is that there is something wrong with the NFS privilige capabilities.
Can you connect your mede8er to your pc by usb cable, then right click in explorer on the drive letter and check the security tab.

Please post what user names you see there and post the results

Hello,

when I connect via USB Slave to the Mede8er, I have the internal HDD as  a drive letter and I can write on it without problem
The settings in the security tab show

"All" (no rights actived)
"System" (no rights activated)
"Administrators" (XPS17 Administrators) with full rights. (XPS 17 is the Modell of my Dell Computer and the Name I gave to it).
This is the group my user is in.
"Users (XPS 17 Users) with  just one line marked called "special rights" (or so, it's in German, I don't know the exact naming in english OS)

Hope this helps.
When I try to connect via Network, it's smb of course.

Also, my switch is a TP-Link GBit switch. Mede8er is connected with fixed IP.

Many thanks and best regards
Spot

Offline Mede8er1

• Administr8or
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +118/-30
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 06:30:13 AM »
spot0915

The issue is that the HDD was not formatted in X3. Something that you can try is to connect X3 to your PC via USB and add a new new user 'Everyone' under the Security Tab and give that user full read and write rights.

Mede8er1

Mede8er1
The Greatest Show on Earth
Read the user Guides
http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_support_user_guides.htm

Offline spot0915

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 06:47:25 PM »
spot0915

The issue is that the HDD was not formatted in X3. Something that you can try is to connect X3 to your PC via USB and add a new new user 'Everyone' under the Security Tab and give that user full read and write rights.

Mede8er1

I tried that.
I added the rights to user "Everyone" on the HDD via USB. Worked without any problems.
But then I removed the USB and connected via Network again, and itīs the same as before,
I see the content of the HDD, I can browse through it with Windows Explorer, but I canīt write to the disk... :-(

Offline ricardod

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 08:59:36 AM »
Hello there,

I'm having the same issue, well in fact even worst because I can only see USB drives but not the HDD at all. what I can see is the oppsite way around from the MED1000X3D I can see folders on my PC. By the way, I'm new on this but is there a simple guide to configure NFS in order I can access the MED1000X3D files from my PC, I'll appreciate if you could point me to one link that has information about that, if I understood well I need an NFS Client on my PC because the MED1000X3D act by default as a NFS server, isn't it...?

Thanks in advance for comments and help...

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 09:31:30 AM »
Hello there,

By the way, I'm new on this but is there a simple guide to configure NFS in order I can access the MED1000X3D files from my PC, I'll appreciate if you could point me to one link that has information about that, if I understood well I need an NFS Client on my PC because the MED1000X3D act by default as a NFS server, isn't it...?

Thanks in advance for comments and help...

No, the other way  around. You have to install an NFS server on the PC (or NAS), and the X3 acts as a client. The use of Hanewin for that is described in the downloadable manual. You can't use NFS to transfer files "to" the X3. Only Samba (network) can be used for that.

Are you saying using Network on your PC you  can only see USB drives attached to  the X3, but not the drive?  Have you used the internal drive yet? Have you formatted it using the X3 setup, or where you expecting to do that remotely via NFS?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:39:39 AM by jer1956 »

Offline ricardod

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 11:09:52 AM »
Hello jer1956,

Thanks for your fast reply. Yes, I can't see the internal HDD via network, it is also true that I didn't format the unit with the MED1000X3D inteface because I've already a lot of data on the HDD, nevertheless the USB drives weren't formated with the MED1000X3D interface but I can see them, so why I can't see the internal HHD, that I don't know. I've already used the Winsahre utility and in fact only the USB drives are diplayed there. Could it be that I need to perform something on my HDD (besides formatting please)...? Also, I'm performing all this through wireless connection, I've noticed it is quite slow, so I'm wondering if there are some thing that couldn't be properly done through wireless, I'm not sure about it, I mean if certain MED1000X3D functionalities just work for ethernet...?

Thanks in advance for your comments...

Regards

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 11:15:55 AM »
The internal drive is not just for NTFS, it also hosts system partitions which  change from device to  device, and on some occasions, between major firmware upgrades.  USB sticks are universal....

Can you see the drive in Medialibrary?

Offline ricardod

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 11:35:56 AM »
Yes, I can see and work with the internal HDD perfectly on the Media Library Menu. Nevertheless as I've stated, I'm not able to see it through wireless network using my PC.

Advices and comments will be welcome...

Thanks

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 12:29:43 PM »
Winshare is not for fixing issues on X3 storage, but with PC storage your trying to share using Network.  Are you doing this  with the X3 connected by USB Slave mode?

But I think the problem is related. The X3 is able to mount your drive, but not share it.   

Offline ricardod

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 12:45:32 PM »
Hello, I've tried in both ways, with a Pen Drive connected to the X3 (then I was able to see the Pen drive content from the PC) and without any USB device physically connected to the X3 ports, in both cases I can't see the X3 internal HDD on my PC.

Any other suggestions...?

Thanks

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »
You can try using USB slave mode and see if winshare  can sort out you Linux sharing issues. It's not been designed for that.

Otherwise you have to  backup  and reformat.

Offline ricardod

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 02:01:07 PM »
What you mean with USB slave mode, the HDD that I can't access is internal. Is there a way to simulate USB mode with internal HDD...?

Thanks in advance

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 02:21:21 PM »
Slave mode uses the blue connector  and allow a PC to see the internal drive if directly connected.

It is not our policy to spend a lot of time trying to fix issues we expect reformatting to solve.