Author Topic: TV Scraping and Trailers seem to have stopped working  (Read 50338 times)

Offline kazza61

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
Re: TV Scraping and Trailers seem to have stopped working
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2019, 08:30:06 AM »
I have no technical skill whatsoever in this area but was wondering.........if the Mede8er can reliably scrape movie info from IMDB, can it not be pointed in that direction to get TV info too? PS. I already know I won’t understand the answer! Lol.  :) :)

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2019, 09:56:08 AM »
Any changes now require the actual code or firmware to be hacked with a hex editor. The tools belonged to  the prime subcontractor...not Sanji.

Thats how it was fixed the last time....by an  enthusiast at the European Distributer.

And if the movie database changes to https.....nothing can be done.  The safari webkit in the firmware has no https support.  Its one reason why youtube is an issue.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 10:10:33 AM by jer1956 »

Offline kazza61

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply.
Fingers crossed that just such an enthusiast is hiding in the shadows ready to jump out with a solution.....

Offline loyis7

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2019, 05:14:06 PM »
Thats how it was fixed the last time....by an  enthusiast at the European Distributer.

Can't someone get in touch with this "enthusiast", in order to get things going...?
We can raise money if needed in the end to pay him to do that, if that means he can help us all with our situation.
And if he can change "the actual code or firmware" in order to not have any similar problems in the future, then even better.
I would happily pay anyone, if that means he could fix this once and for all...;)

Offline sayon

• Helpful Contribution Status: +8/-0
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2019, 06:10:07 PM »
Hi, I too would be willing to make a paypal donation to the one who fixes this problem ... I don't want to lose my 2 med8ers.
However, does an alternative to TVrename exist to tag the TV series in a compatible way to our Med8er?
TVrename does not seem very intuitive to use.
I thought if it installs on the PLEX server computer and then it gets scanned in the TV series shouldn't it download all the covers and fanart automatically?

Offline felho001

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2019, 06:34:02 PM »
Hi, I too would be willing to make a paypal donation to the one who fixes this problem ... I don't want to lose my 2 med8ers.
However, does an alternative to TVrename exist to tag the TV series in a compatible way to our Med8er?
TVrename does not seem very intuitive to use.
I thought if it installs on the PLEX server computer and then it gets scanned in the TV series shouldn't it download all the covers and fanart automatically?
Me too

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2019, 09:50:53 PM »
Such posts have been noticed. Mede8er  no longer have a cash stream from  selling players. They are willing to keep the forum going so that users can help each other out.   Ytapi where asking for too much for their service which  trailers used. They forced us to look for an alternative. Google with the right questions and it can deliver.
I hope to see some kind of scheme for enthusiasts to  fund fixing  scraping.  Mede8er1 has shown interest in the idea.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:57:00 PM by jer1956 »

Offline Mede8er1

• Administr8or
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +118/-30
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2019, 06:19:00 AM »
The engineer who developed the TMDB and TVDB scraping functionality for the Mede8er indicated that he is prepared to try and fix the current TVDB scraping problem. He will have to put in a lot of after-hours and weekend work to get this functionality working again. We have not sold any Mede8er's for almost four years, and as jer1956 pointed out, we don't have a revenue stream to support this cost. I have suggested a 'Donate Button' so that users can assist with this cost, and I can assure you that I will personally donate generously. We will post the donate button with the fix, thus removing any risk of users paying and not receiving any benefits.

Mede8er is a great player, and we still get daily requests from people who want to buy units - considering the hardware technology is over six years old, I would say that this says a lot.

Like most of you, I still use my mede8ers, and I would like to see this fixed.

Comments welcome.

Mede8er1   

Mede8er1
The Greatest Show on Earth
Read the user Guides
http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_support_user_guides.htm

Offline kazza61

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2019, 07:56:52 AM »
That’s a fantastic way forward Mede8er1 and as well as expressing my gratitude, I will be more than happy to make a donation when any fix is released. I also want to say a sincere thank you to the engineer just for having a go! I fully agree - it is a great player and I still refer to it as the best gadget I ever bought!

Offline sayon

• Helpful Contribution Status: +8/-0
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2019, 10:59:51 AM »
@mede8er1
Hello, I am very pleased that the engineer is dedicated to correcting the problem.
I thank in advance both you and the engineer and I guarantee my total collaboration with the donation when it is active.
Like everyone else, I think Med8er is an object that I don't want to give up (I have 2).
Looking forward to good work and greetings developments.
Sayon

Offline loyis7

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2019, 12:05:06 AM »
The engineer who developed the TMDB and TVDB scraping functionality for the Mede8er indicated that he is prepared to try and fix the current TVDB scraping problem. He will have to put in a lot of after-hours and weekend work to get this functionality working again. We have not sold any Mede8er's for almost four years, and as jer1956 pointed out, we don't have a revenue stream to support this cost. I have suggested a 'Donate Button' so that users can assist with this cost, and I can assure you that I will personally donate generously. We will post the donate button with the fix, thus removing any risk of users paying and not receiving any benefits.

Mede8er is a great player, and we still get daily requests from people who want to buy units - considering the hardware technology is over six years old, I would say that this says a lot.

Like most of you, I still use my mede8ers, and I would like to see this fixed.

Comments welcome.

Mede8er1   

GREAT news...!!!!!!

Thanks 1.000.000 times the engineer that will fix this problem of ours. And thanks to all of you for helping us ALL out with our situation.
As mentioned by others, so do I want to say, that when the fix is complete and the Donation button is added, i will gladly contribute. Just a quick request: Can it be that the engineer fix this issue once and for all, or at least make a fix that upgrades to the latest firmware/api/etc, in order for us not having to get through this again in the future...? (i don't have any knowledge about api's or media players firmwares, its just a question i came up with so excuse my non-expertise or if i asked a nonsence).

I think that mede8er besides its years, its one HELL OF A GOOD MACHINE !!!
Keep up the good work and we're with ya ALL THE WAY... ;)

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2019, 08:28:12 AM »
Any client is the hostage of those who supply the online service. 5 years is a long time for those offering online services to leave their Application Interface untouched.   

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2019, 09:45:30 AM »
I have been informed that the first issue to  solve is getting access via Https. Patching the code with a HEX editor to  do that is one thing. A major reworking of the code with a HEX editor to adopt a new API, is another.

Hopefully a compromise can be reached. Whereby the old API can be used via HTTPS. 

Offline kazza61

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2019, 10:13:30 AM »
I have been informed that the first issue to  solve is getting access via Https. Patching the code with a HEX editor to  do that is one thing. A major reworking of the code with a HEX editor to adopt a new API, is another.

Hopefully a compromise can be reached. Whereby the old API can be used via HTTPS.

I have no clue what any of that actually means but good luck to whoever is working on this!

Offline Mede8er1

• Administr8or
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +118/-30
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2019, 05:00:31 PM »
Initial feedback from the developer regarding the TVDB API V3

Besides the https issue that was mentioned by Jer1956, he has had to completely re-write the scraper code and this is some work. He is doing his best with lots of very late nights so if successful I really hope the community will hit that donate button and contribute generously. I'm sure we will get some further update from him after the weekend.

Mede8er1       

Mede8er1
The Greatest Show on Earth
Read the user Guides
http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_support_user_guides.htm