Author Topic: Comments on Gbit Networking Case Studies  (Read 22985 times)

Offline myname70

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Comments on Gbit Networking Case Studies
« on: July 31, 2014, 08:58:24 PM »
Please post in this thread comments on the Gbit examples described here:-

http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,14645.0.html

Please take note of request to not add anything other than network descriptions.

(Edited by Mod)

Guys, how did you measure the speed when NAS transfer is used ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:36:15 AM by jer1956 »

Offline docbill

• B8a Tester - X3D Movie Scraper
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +2/-1
Re: Comments on Gbit Networking Case Studies
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 03:49:48 AM »

bazzio posted a link to some test files.  Basically what we are doing to measure speed is playing those files and looking to see if we notice problems.   It is tricky on the mede8er because the mede8er is very good at playing movies smoothly even when it doesn't get the data fast enough.   On my old iStarHD (a version of popcorn hour) it was easy.  If I played something at too high of a rate it hard crashed the device.   On the Mede8er you just see a few frame drops.  If you aren't paying attention you'll miss it.   It is also tricky on my laptop which I used for comparison.   Not because vlc will play it smoothly, but because Linux has a very good caching mechanism.   So if you start the file and pause it at anytime, the linux kernel will likely predict the blocks you need next and have them already downloaded.   If you try playing the it again, because you blinked and might have missed a frame drop, chances are you are playing the whole video file from memory.   In the end, you have to take laptop comparisons with a bit of skepticism, because there are too many ways to get false good results.  

It is much easier to do file transfer tests, but that hardly tells you the full story.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:26:05 AM by jer1956 »

Offline guy_k

Re: [Tip] Gbit Networking Case Studies
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 09:50:31 AM »
Hi,
I am facing some problems with my Gbit network, I will be happy to learn from your experience.
I use the WD live to stream movies (Blue Ray rips) 2D (not even dreaming on a 3D).
My Med1000 has the latest firmware & I am using NFS connection to the WD LIVE.
My cables are Cat6 & so are the switches I use (Edimax & HP).
All connected to a TP Link WDR4300 router.
When streaming a movie it keep stuttering no matter which one I am trying to watch.
Any idea?

Offline jayveetech

Re: [Tip] Gbit Networking Case Studies
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 05:30:42 AM »
Hi,
I am facing some problems with my Gbit network, I will be happy to learn from your experience.
I use the WD live to stream movies (Blue Ray rips) 2D (not even dreaming on a 3D).
My Med1000 has the latest firmware & I am using NFS connection to the WD LIVE.
My cables are Cat6 & so are the switches I use (Edimax & HP).
All connected to a TP Link WDR4300 router.
When streaming a movie it keep stuttering no matter which one I am trying to watch.
Any idea?
G'day,

You only need 54mbps for 2D Blu-Ray actually. CAT6 will likely have no impact on your connection.. However, if the cables are installed into your house by an electrician, and you have a LAN cable tester, maybe worth using it and testing they are fit off properly.

1. When we tested cheap Linksys Gigabit switches, we actually discovered they had serious issues (on all media players we tested with). If its a proper HP Smart Switch, try taking the Edimax out and seeing what happens.

2. If you are also using SONOS, you should set up STP on your smart switch.. Otherwise, take special precautions to prevent Network Loops.

3. Try running a ping test, and checking the latency (use ping -n 10000 IP). Some networks we've tested have huge latency spikes, that are quickly revealed using such tests..

4. Finally, it could be a throughput issue with the WD Live. The file sharing servers on most Media players are added mainly to facilitate copying onto the Media Players HDD (not generally to stream to other systems).

You will never regret buying a proper NAS (like a Synology or QNAP), to do file serving. If it works from a proper NAS, then you know its a throughput issue with the WD Live.

Andy