Author Topic: Network Login fail on Mac  (Read 16259 times)

Offline stonehound

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
Network Login fail on Mac
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:11:32 AM »
I tried setting up the MED600X3D last night and have stumbled on a frustrating problem.

I am trying to navingate to my media folder which is stored on a WD Thuderbolt hard drive attached to my mac mini. The 600X3d is wired to a gigabit swich which is in turn wired to the Mac and BT Home Hub 2.

I have successfully entered my login details (user name & password) on the Mede8er for the mac mini so I can see a list of folders on the mac and a folder for the WD hard drive but when I try to open any of these folders it prompts me for another user name and password. I don't have any further user names/passwords for these folders so can't go any further.

It seems odd that once I have access to the Mac Mini it is prompting me for further login details to access the folders on the Mac and the attached hard drive.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Here is my set up:

Media Source: Wired Network > Mac Mini with attached WD Thunderholt Duo hard drive (HFS+)
Product & firmware version: Mede8er MED6000X3D f/w v1.0.5
Audio: HDMI> Pioneer LX55 A/V Receiver

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
Re: Network Login fail on Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:29:28 AM »
The user password input is most often seen as a consequence of a failed connection. Failure can occur if sharing is not set up correctly, and that looks like the probable cuase considering you actually see folders on the other device.  I'm no MAC expert so  can't tell you how to  solve that at the MAC end.

Offline stonehound

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:03:43 AM »
Thanks. May be a stupid question, but when it prompts me for the username/password, should this be the username/password for the Mac rather than for my BT home hub? I tried both and the Mac username/password was the one that worked.

It shounds as though it might be a similar isuue to the 'Can't access samba shares' post in the forum as I can access the mac but not the folders within. Could it be a DNS issue?

I set up using DHCH Auto and have not touched the DNS settings.

Offline funkycochise

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:06:55 AM »
I can't tell you how to solve your login identifier prompt issue,
On my imac I Installed a nfs server to provide shared folders,
maybe it's a good workaround you can give a try this way.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:18:42 AM »
Thanks. May be a stupid question, but when it prompts me for the username/password, should this be the username/password for the Mac rather than for my BT home hub? I tried both and the Mac username/password was the one that worked.

Inputting anything is not a solution...you solve the sharing issue and you shouldn't be asked  for that information again.  If you do have password protected shares it's best to set up a Network/NFS shortcut and store that information.

Offline stonehound

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »
That's the thing, I don't have any password protected shares which is why I was struggling with a username/password to input.

Is it straightforward to set up a Network/NFS shortcut?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 11:32:28 AM »
That's the thing, I don't have any password protected shares which is why I was struggling with a username/password to input.

Is it straightforward to set up a Network/NFS shortcut?

That won't solve the "sharing" issue..but you do  need them if you want to use jukebox on a remote server. It's on the Menu  when you have "entered" either Network or NFS. By default if you put in the IP, the GUI will create a Guest login. So you need to  set up the server to allow Guest access to your share.

Offline stonehound

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 11:40:48 AM »
ok thanks for your help, i'll give that a try this evening.

Offline stonehound

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 11:47:19 AM »
Do I input the IP of the mac mini?

Out of interest, why is there a "Network" option if you can't access files on the network without having to set up NFS?

Offline funkycochise

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »

Out of interest, why is there a "Network" option if you can't access files on the network without having to set up NFS?
You can setup up a NFS server using NFS Manager,
http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html
I use this at home, without purchase, directly recognized on mede8er

Also, keep in mind that network share on a mac isn't similar to windows SMB de facto standard.
Mac uses afp as share protocol.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 11:56:37 AM »

Network is far too "general" a name for that  section in my opinion. It should be Samba. Both Samba  and NFS are Network Sharing Proctocols. You can  use either or both, via their own shortcuts and favourites.

NFS is considered the most efficient, and streaming 3D requires the most efficient network you  can setup. Hence all  the recent effort trying to get 32k buffers via NFS.

Offline stonehound

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 12:00:40 PM »
Thanks again, will try and solve tonight.

I thought the set up would be a lot easier than this!

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 12:06:27 PM »
The issue is both Samba and NFS are old protocols requiring a lot of setup. The IT industry have come up with a quick  and easy system called Upnp, but it doesn't allow the kind of file sharing Jukebox requires.  So  you  can use Upnp, but you lose all  the eye candy, and XML etc.

Offline stonehound

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »
Thanks for your help on this. It's working now after I set up the NFS share and removed the spaces from name of my hard drive.

I'll add a separate post with the steps I followed as it may help other mac users.

Offline dxpacheco

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 03:17:14 AM »
HI can you guys help me out.
have the same problem too..
using imac os lion, x3 firmware 1.05
i can see my mac on the network workgroup..but i always get login fail..even on my macbook without pasword..